Tuesday, October 12, 2010

Me and Molly Wizenberg - A Homemade Life, Tasty Oven Roasted Tomatoes with Thyme, and Macaroons

My continuing review of food blogger books:

Then there is the first food blog that I ever read: Orangette. I am coming to the end of Molly Wizenberg's food memoir with recipes, A Homemade Life: Stories and Recipes from My Kitchen Table

A Homemade Life: Stories and Recipes from My Kitchen Table                                                                 

Molly and I share the same age and a love of loyalty to perfect recipes. Once you find the one, you keep making that one. Her memoir centers around her formative years growing up in Oklahoma (they must have some good food action in OK...), her relationship with her father and his battle with cancer, life and learning in Paris, and finally settling down, dropping out of a PHD program, becoming a food blogger that ends up writing for Bon Appetite and finding the love of her life. Maybe a little bit of a stretch to write a memoir at her age, but it works since she grew up in a foodie household. Each recipe, like many blogger books, ties to a personal story or experience relating to the food. 

I have made several recipes from her book including the coconut macaroons and my new passion, slow roasted tomatoes. The pics bellow are my handy work ;) 

My mom's favorite - my childhood nemesis...glad to say I got over my coconut aversion. These macaroons are superior, but add the dark chocolate ganache and we are talking outer-worldly. 

Slow Roasted Tomatoes with Thyme - our new favorite thing in the world.

My version of these incredible tomatoes, adapted from Molly Wizenberg's A Homemade Life:

Ripe Roma tomatoes, Olive oil,Sea salt, Dried thyme



Preheat the oven to 250 degrees Fahrenheit.

Wash the tomatoes, cut off the stem end, and halve them lengthwise. Put the cut tomatoes into a bowl and toss with olive oil. Place them, skin side down, on a large baking sheet lined with parchment paper. Sprinkle them with sea salt and dried thyme—about a pinch of each for every four to six tomato halves.

Bake the tomatoes until they shrink to about 1/3 of their original size but are still soft and juicy, 6 hours or more.  I kick up the heat to 300 if they are not ready by the six hour mark. Remove the baking sheet from the oven, and allow the tomatoes to cool to room temperature on the baking sheet. Place them in an airtight container, and store them in the refrigerator.


They are amazing on pizza dough, in sandwiches, in pastas, in soups, anywhere tomato paste is called for - the flavors concentrate and really make the tomato into a star. So easy, so versatile, they sit in my fridge for a very short time, my little tupperware of ruby treasure. I hope you try them. 

Here is the link to Molly Wizenberg's version on Orangette:  

http://orangette.blogspot.com/2005/08/better-living-through-slow-roasting.html

No comments: