Wednesday, July 14, 2010

Fixed Recipe Zucchini Cake

OOPS! Thanks to my mom, I found that I had omitted the sugar and when to add the zucchini to my zucchini cake recipe. Here is the full recipe - hopefully mistake free! Oh, and since my mother in law is here, I will have a new zucchini recipe to share with you all soon! 


Shred 1 pound of zucchini in a food processor with the shredding attachment and put in a mesh strainer (or if you don't have that, use a colander). Let this mess of green drain for an hour or more. If you want to help it along by squeezing the juices out, do it. The dryer the better. 

Here are the ingredients:
1 lb zucchini shredded
2 cups all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
1 teaspoon baking soda
2 teaspoons cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
1 1/2 cups of sugar1/4 cup yogurt (I use an entire Activia yogurt - peach, strawberry, whatever I have!)
2 large eggs
1 tablespoon lemon juice
6 tablespoons of canola oil

Process:
Preheat oven to 375 degrees and spray a 13x9" rectangular cake pan with cooking spray. Whisk flour, baking soda and powder, cinnamon, and salt in a large bowl. Whisk sugar, yogurt, eggs, lemon juice, and canola oil in another bowl until combined. Fold the yogurt mixture into the flour mixture just until combined, add zucchini to the batter. Transfer the batter to your cake pan and bake for 25-30 minutes until the cake springs back when you touch the center. Let it cool for at least 30 minutes before you cut. 

1 comment:

Annie said...

I'm tossing all of my old zucchini bread/cake recipes. This one is a winner! I shread the zucchini using a fine shredder then put it directly in a strainer over a big bowl. Using a piece of saran wrap, I press down on the shredded zucchini and it doesn't take long for the liquid to drain out. I used the Kitchen Aid vegetable strainer but the zucchini is too tough and plugs it up. Also makes a big mess to clean up. :-(