Thursday, July 1, 2010

Almost



I was chosen as one of the 8 finalists for the Next Food TV Star competition and had a great time doing my demo. In the end, I lost to a communications professor from Thousand Oaks who enters and wins every county fair competition she enters from Ventura on down to Del Mar. Those less fortunate in their county fair endeavors (ie: the other seven of us who lost to this fair winning savant) are supposed to go back on July 5 and see her be crowned the winner.

At first I thought, "No way. Why rub it in," but then I started thinking that it would be interesting to see what she had that I didn't, learn from it and get better. Get better and better so when it is my time, the rest of the jokers can eat my dust. Got fire in my belly today!

To be honest, the experience far out weighed winning or losing because I was able to get up there, take a risk, and do something. I feel like I was successful in teaching people watching how to make their 321 Super Secret Dough without a recipe for sure.

Everything happens for a reason, and maybe, if I won easily, I would become complacent and feel like I had it all in the bag. I need to continue to grow and learn, take more chances and get out there. Thanks to all the people who have and continue to support me in my efforts! It is so very appreciated with all my heart.

For anyone who is interested in my 321 Super Secret Dough, here is the recipe. I hope you all try it! It only has six simple ingredients and takes minutes to make. This dough can be transformed into homemade pizza, rustic artisan-style bread, crispy breadsticks, savory flatbread, mini calzones (pizza balls), and much more. Even better, it can be made days in advance and kept covered in the fridge to be used at a later date. I call it the 321 recipe because it has 3 cups of flour, 2 teaspoons of yeast, sugar and salt, and 1 2/3 cups of water.




• 3 Cups AP Flour
• 2 Teaspoons Yeast
• 2 Teaspoons Kosher Salt
• 2 Teaspoons Sugar
• 1 2/3 Cups Lukewarm Purified Water

1. Place the flours, yeast, salt, and sugar in a large bowl and mix with a fork until ingredients are evenly distributed.
2. Add the water and stir with a spoon until flour mixture is evenly wet (about a minute). Cover with a clean dishtowel and let sit for about 2 hours in a draft free area.
3. You can use the dough at this point, or store it in your fridge for later use up to four days. This much dough makes two pizzas and two loaves of bread.
4. Preheat oven with a pizza stone inside to 500 degrees Fahrenheit.
5. Shape dough on a piece of parchment paper. For bread, rub the dough with olive oil and sprinkle with kosher salt. Bake until golden and hollow sounding (about 15 minutes). Pizza will bake in about 12-14 minutes.
6. Other applications include breadsticks, calzones, pizza balls, rolls...the possibilities are limitless!

No kneading necessary, the rise of bread actually kneads the dough on a molecule by molecule basis. Yeast needs a certain amount of oxygen to thrive, but excessive kneading introduces too much oxygen, and oxidizes the dough. We then lose the natural flavor of the bread as the dough turns whiter and whiter. We are not making wonder bread, we are making something that looks, feels and tastes handmade. This amount of dough will make about two large pizzas and a small loaf of bread.

1 comment:

Erin Kane Spock said...

You make it sound easy, but I'm sure I'll mess it up. We're having pizza tonight! :)