Saturday, May 2, 2009

The Last Cake, Class 1: The Wilton Rose


Ah the Wilton Rose...the finale of class one. Honestly, those are pretty hard little suckers to make! With some practice and effort, they got easier, but yeah, still tough. The instructor made the middle rose, and I made the rest. All in all, it was a worth while experience, and I signed up for the second class. While the teacher is not exactly top caliber, I did learn some good tips from her, and really, the whole thing is a nice excuse to spend two uninterrupted hours practicing my cake decorating skills (try that at home with two lil' ones...not happening.). Not to mention it is a killer deal at only $22.50 for a month's worth of classes.

So since I have not posted any recipes lately, I wanted to share a cool shortcut for making boxed cakes taste more like homemade. It is an interesting thing that many people prefer the taste and consistency of boxed cakes to homemade. My friend's sister-in-law sells her cakes to friends and made almost a $200 profit on a couple of cakes because she uses boxed mixes. No one ever asks if they are homemade, and she is getting quite a bit of business. I have to be honest, I am a bit of a cake snob...I totally prefer a great homemade cake to the shadow box-mix cake.

Whateva, gotta love how totally simple it is to make a box cake...I forgot how quick it was. So here ya go:

1 box mix, either yellow or chocolate
4 eggs
1 cup of buttermilk instead of water
Retain the measurement for the oil listed on the box (I use canola)

This week my class 2 starts up...hopefully no quasi-objectionable clowns...

1 comment:

Trish Wallace said...

So do you use the "box-type" recipe or still stick to homemade?