Friday, April 17, 2009

Cake #1

I have started taking cake decorating classes this past month - it is the first non-kid related thing I have done in the past three and a half years. I get to go one night a week and concentrate on completing something without any interruptions...funny how things (like alone time) become more appreciated when circumstances change. 

I feel sorta horrible and guilty for spending this time out ... but only for a few minutes. It is important to do things we want to do when we can actually do them. I think that is one lesson grandpa's ordeal has reinforced in me. Love and appreciate your partner, your kids, your health, every moment they are yours. Part of being healthy is being happy, so I say, why not? I signed up for this class, and the following course in May, and signed up at the local gym. I am running, rowing, and sweating - it feels great. I want to work up to a marathon in the next few years...or maybe a half-marathon...

So here is the cake from last night. It is super basic, but even though I have some experience with decorating cakes, I think it is great to learn from the ground up and really cover all the bases. So a cool trick I got from the teacher is to make shapes by putting down a cookie cutter, then piping a line around the indention, and after, just put the star tip on and go to town until it is done. 

No comments: