Tuesday, February 24, 2009

When you are not looking...

It always happens when you finally give up looking - when you accept the fact that you will never have that thing you always wanted and longed for, it miraculously finds you. Not to be too overly dramatic, but honestly, I thought I was doomed to never, ever make a decent chocolate chip cookie. The recipe I have been searching for has found me at last, and in it I have found my inner chocolate chip cookie goddess. No joke. These cookies are that good. 

I made the dough about 4pm, and was planning on waiting the required 36 hours. Then I wrote the previous post, and couldn't help myself. I HAD to make just a couple...just to see... So at 8pm I put a batch and my hopes into the oven and waited. Even after just four hours of "resting" they were truly superior. Over the next day or so I made several bakings from that batch and they only got better. I loved that I could just bake up a few at night after dinner to have with tea. Who doesn't love the smell of warm cookies baking in the evening? 

One thing I learned is to not crowd the cookies. Mine were made from a small ice cream scoop, and weighed less than 2 oz. I was able to cook only 8 at a time. I also adjusted the time to 13 minutes - they were a light carmel brown, and after they cooled kept a little chewy-ness to balance the cripish corners. 

So, needless to say, I have been eating my fair share of chocolate chip cookies lately. Unfortunaly, they didn't last long enough to photograph...maybe next time. I will add the link to the recipe here: http://orangette.blogspot.com/2008/07/bold-statement.html

Let me know how they come out for you! 

2 comments:

HLM said...

I've had the same experience with chocolate chip cookies, Linds! I just recently found a recipe in which it said to put in the fridge for a couple hours, and like you, I made a batch right away and then stuck the rest in the fridge till I had more time. The best batch were those that were in the fridge for two days before I got them in the oven, and yes, smaller portions than the recipe instructed. I'm so glad you've found a good recipe. I'm going to try yours too.

ambrella said...

oh! I can't wait to try this!!! I have been trying recipes forever too, because I LOVE chocolate chip cookies, but mostly just when they are perfect. Not too sweet, crispy and soft, etc etc.

Hah! In life we must accept imperfections as part of the worlds beauty, but in baking we can ALWAYS get closer to perfection!