Tuesday, February 17, 2009

Nemesis

The nemesis of my baking world is the ever innocent chocolate chip cookie. Seriously, I feel like the crazy guy from Caddy Shack chasing the gopher...why can't I get it? Shouldn't it be so simple? Well, not for me. I have the worst track record with those suckers - most of the time they just spread out like a dog on its back waiting for a tummy rub. Dog, cute. Spready cookies, depressing. 

Once I saw a cookie bake off show on TV, and this special education teacher from San Diego won the top prize for his traditional chocolate chip cookie. I followed the recipe to a tee, and actually had success with it...once. After that, the same dang recipe has failed me each time I try to recapture cookie glory. 

OK, what is the point of this whole chippy diatribe? I am trying again. I am trying again to make a decent traditional chocolate chip cookie without any crutches like oatmeal or shortening. Reaching out to that cookie bad boy, hoping not to get disappointed again...hmmm

So this recipe is from another blogger site, and she got it from the New York Times food section. It has to "mature" for at least 36 hours. The make or break chocolate chip cookie dough is "resting" in my fridge, waiting for the big show day after tomorrow. Here's to you Don Quixote (or maybe more appropriately to Bill Murray) and to the impossible dream! 

1 comment:

Trish Wallace said...

Can't wait to hear about this...there have been times I've let cookie dough "rest" in the fridge but it wasn't due to the recipe instructions, more my time limitations! HA So, I'll be interested to see what you think! I'm like you, I've tried them all, and revert back to the Nestle's one only as a crutch!