Sunday, January 25, 2009

Here is one of my favorite recipes...

Cranberry Almond Granola

3 cups rolled oats 
1 cup slivered almonds
3/4 cup sweet coconut
1/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons brown sugar
1/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons maple syrup
1/4 cup canola oil
3/4 teaspoon kosher salt 
1 cup dried cranberries

Preheat oven to 250 degrees F. In a large bowl combine oats, nuts, coconut, and brown sugar. In a separate bowl combine syrup, oil and salt. Combine both mixtures and pour onto two cookie sheets. Cook for 20 minutes then switch lower pan to top, top pan to bottom rack. Cook for an additional 20 minutes then switch again. Cook for 10-20 minutes more until golden, then let cool. Transfer to a big bowl or ziplock bag and add the dried cranberries. 

Variation - omit coconut, rough chop 1 cup almonds and 1 cup pecans...chunkier, and really good.

4 comments:

Trish Wallace said...

Lindsay...I can't wait to see your posts...I think you will be fantastic with this and what a great way to keep a record of our favorite experiments with food!! Congrats Master Yoda!! HA

lindsay said...

You are always so nice!

ambrella said...

I hadn't thought to add salt to granola before, but, just like in chocolate chip cookies, it was perfect! I added some other ingredients like seeds and raisins and used concentrated apple juice instead of syrup or honey since that's what I had, and a touch of cinnamon, because I just love cinnamon. I have been snacking on it ever since!

lindsay said...

I am so glad the granola worked out for you Ambra! I always have a bucket of h.m. (homemade) granola in my pantry - I love it especially on yogurt. I am impressed with your substitution of the apple juice, the cinnamon and the seeds! Yummy and creative.